Monday, August 10, 2009

Game One World Series Starter

In an attempt to distance myself even further away from the debacle that took place in New York this past weekend, I am writing this blog becuase of a question that a wise man asked me during the game last night.

If I had a fully healthy pitching staff who would be my Game One starter for the World Series Josh Beckett or Jon Lester?

Despite Lester dominating the game I was watching at the time I went with Josh Beckett, don't get me wrong its a tough argument either way but Beckett seemed like the logical choice given his playoff experience and dominance in October. While Lester may not have had as many opportunities to prove himself as Beckett has, the fact that Beckett was the MVP of the 2003 World Series and has not really shown a decline of any kind in any playoff performance. Sure you could bring up last year but before you do that keep in mind that he was hurt and still managed to go out and give you a few gut-check performances.

Now to Mr. Lester, Lester has developed into one of the top left handed pitchers in the game today and may have a legitimate argument to say he is the best. Having said that he is not my choice because of the lack of track record and still relative inexperience in the playoffs. Does that mean I do not want to see him pitch a game one? No, does it mean that I don't want to see him pitch? No, however I believe that Beckett is the better choice for this situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment